Revived in 1817 to help restore financial stability after the economic fallout of the Napoleonic and French Revolutionary wars, The Sovereign has acquired a reputation as the ‘chief coin of the world’. Struck in 22-carat gold and tightly specified to five decimal places, it represents the pinnacle of minting quality, integrity, and accuracy. In keeping with tradition, The Sovereign 2019 features Benedetto Pistrucci’s depiction of St George and the dragon, a design that has come to define our flagship coin.
The release of this year’s Sovereign coincides with the 200th anniversary of the Ricardo Ingot plan. In 1819, a political economist named David Ricardo proposed replacing circulating gold coinage with a 60oz ingot held at the Bank of England, threatening The Sovereign’s revival. But this iconic coin endures, trusted and respected by investors all over the world. The Sovereign 2019 range also includes a gold Sovereign bullion coin available in a capsule or tube of 25 coins.
- Struck in 22-carat gold
- Minted to bullion standard
- The obverse bears the fifth definitive portrait of Her Majesty The Queen
- Features the classic reverse design of St George and the dragon
- VAT free and Capital Gains Tax exempt
- UK Government assurance of weight and purity
* Bullion product prices displayed include the precious metal price and any applicable premium. Any promotions or discounts are applied to the premium above the precious metal price only and not on the metal price itself.
The Half Sovereign 2019 Gold Bullion Coin
|Alloy||916.67 Fine Gold|
|Reverse Designer||Benedetto Pistrucci|
|Obverse Designer||Jody Clark|
|Pure Metal Type||Gold|
|Pure Metal Content||0.118 Troy oz|
|Packaging||Single Coin Capsule|