The second mythical figure to feature in our three-coin bullion series inspired by the legend of King Arthur is Merlin, the sorcerer who is popularly known as the fierce warrior’s trusted adviser and prophet.
The figure of Merlin was essentially created by Geoffrey of Monmouth in his twelfth-century work Historia Regum Britanniae (The History of the Kings of Britain). Geoffrey’s text played a pivotal role in popularising Arthurian legend and, from the Middle Ages onwards, Merlin has become a central figure in the mythology, notably in American literature and popular culture.
David Lawrence, an illustrator with numerous coin designs in his portfolio, has portrayed Merlin as a magical figure, with an owl on his shoulder to represent the sorcerer’s wisdom. At his belt is a golden sickle for cutting mistletoe in the sacred grove and he holds a magic stave. Glastonbury appears in the background, which is said to be the inspiration for the mystical isle of Avalon.
- The largest gold coin in this exciting bullion coin collection
- Each coin contains one troy ounce of 999.9 fine gold
- Struck to The Royal Mint’s bullion standard
- Features an interpretation of Merlin by David Lawrence
- Exempt from UK Capital Gains Tax for UK residents
- Individually packaged in a single coin capsule
Merlin 2023 1oz Gold Bullion Coin
|Alloy||999.9 Fine Gold|
|Reverse Designer||David Lawrence|
|Obverse Designer||Martin Jennings|
|Pure Metal Type||Gold|
|Pure Metal Content||1 Troy Oz|
|Packaging||Single Coin Capsule|