Designed in 2016 to mark 200 years since the de facto introduction of the gold standard – tying the value of the British pound to that of gold – the Gold Standard 2019 coin is an exclusive offering from Royal Mint Bullion. Featuring the work of Royal Mint graphic designer Dominique Evans on its reverse, and Jody Clark's official portrait of Her Majesty The Queen on the obverse, the Gold Standard coin is offered as a quarter-ounce bullion coin struck in 999.9 fine gold.
The implementation of the gold standard came as part of the same series of actions that saw the iconic Sovereign reintroduced after many years out of production. Long referred to as the 'chief coin of the world’, The Sovereign continues to serve as the highlight of many collections and is also available as a bullion coin.
The Royal Mint, of course, has been working with, storing and striking gold for hundreds and hundreds of years. And arguably the road to Britain’s official adoption of a gold standard stretches deep into that history – such as when Sir Isaac Newton issued a report that led to the gold ‘guinea’ coin being assigned a fixed value.
Britain’s gold standard was written into law in 1821, with a number of countries soon following her lead, such as Canada, the United States and Germany. Ultimately, however, the United Kingdom's gold standard was abandoned in 1931, though some would like to see it return.
- ¼ oz of 999.9 fine gold (24 carat gold)
- Produced exclusively by Royal Mint Bullion
- Exempt from Capital Gains Tax and VAT for UK residents
- Finished to The Royal Mint’s bullion standard
- Individually packaged in a single coin capsule
* Bullion product prices displayed include the precious metal price and any applicable premium. Any promotions or discounts are applied to the premium above the precious metal price only and not on the metal price itself.
Gold Standard 2019 1/4 oz Gold Bullion Coin
|Alloy||999.9 Fine Gold|
|Reverse Designer||Dominique Evans|
|Obverse Designer||Jody Clark|
|Pure Metal Type||Gold|
|Pure Metal Content||1/4 Troy Oz|
|Packaging||Single Coin Capsule|