- The obverse features the first coinage portrait of His Majesty The King
- The world’s first bullion coin to feature the first coinage portrait of His Majesty King Charles III
- Britannia’s shield bears the Union flag accented with tincture lines
- A latent image changes from a padlock to Britannia’s famous trident
- Surface animation brings the background of sparkling waves to life
- Protected in a single coin capsule
Britannia is one of the oldest symbols of Britain, evolving from the time of Roman rule to become a representation of a modern, forward-looking nation. For 2023, this Britannia bullion coin blends classical design with innovation to redefine security in the bullion market. Philip Nathan’s award-winning portrayal of Britannia includes groundbreaking features that make it the most visually secure coin in the world. Britannia’s strength and beauty is enhanced with security features that both decorate and protect the coin, such as the micro-text of ‘Decus et Tutamen’ that borders the design and translates as ‘An ornament and a safeguard’. In the lower left-hand of the design, below Britannia’s flowing gown, is a trident to represent her naval history and, as the viewer changes their perspective, the trident becomes a padlock, emphasising the coin’s secure nature. Surface animation replaces a standard background, reflecting the movement of waves, and fine details such as the Union flag on Britannia’s shield have been highlighted with tincture lines.
These features are also available on the one kilo and one ounce fine silver, one ounce, half-ounce and tenth-ounce fine gold. The Britannia 2023 bullion coin is also available without the additional features as a quarter-ounce and tenth-ounce fine silver edition.
Britannia 2023 1/4 oz Gold Bullion Coin (King Charles III)
|Alloy||999.9 Fine Gold|
|Reverse Designer||Philip Nathan|
|Obverse Designer||Martin Jennings|
|Pure Metal Type||Gold|
|Pure Metal Content||0.25 Troy Oz|
|Packaging||Single Coin Capsule|
|Security Features||Micro-text | Latent image | Tincture lines | Surface animation|