The latest release in The Royal Mint’s Shēngxiào Collection is the Lunar Year of the Rat 2020. Combining centuries of Chinese tradition with British minting craftsmanship, the collection celebrates the 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac, or Shēngxiào, and their distinctive characteristics and qualities.
Legend tells of a Great Race between all of the animals to decide the order of the lunar calendar. The finish lay beyond a river, but the rat had a plan, hitching a ride on the ox before jumping off to sneak ahead and win.
Continuing the success of The Shēngxiào Collection, we are excited to reveal a new bullion coin in the series, featuring a design by artist P.J. Lynch. By virtue of winning the race, the rat is the first sign of the Chinese zodiac as it starts anew in 2020. People born under this sign are said to be intelligent, adaptable and optimistic.
Bullion has been chosen as an investment by individuals, governments, and organisations for thousands of years. In more recent times, people have considered it a hedge against stock market volatility and geopolitical events.
This one-ounce silver bullion coin presents a new investment opportunity in the range and is also available as a one-ounce gold edition.
- Struck in 999 fine silver
- Minted to bullion standard
- The number eight, believed to be lucky in Chinese culture, is incorporated in each mintage with a limited mintage of 138,888
- The coins are presented in capsules
- Features an obverse design by iconic Royal Mint coin designer Jody Clark, creator of the latest definitive portrait of Her Majesty The Queen on UK coinage
- Individually packaged in a single coin capsule
* Bullion product prices displayed include the precious metal price and any applicable premium. Any promotions or discounts are applied to the premium above the precious metal price only and not on the metal price itself.
Lunar 2020 Year of the Rat 1 oz Silver Bullion Coin
|999 Fine Silver
|Pure Metal Type
|Pure Metal Content
|1 Troy Oz
|Single Coin Capsule