Gold and silver bullion have been the investment of choice for wealthy individuals, governments and organisations for thousands of years. The value of precious metals transcends fashion, market trends and even economic systems. More recently, people are also choosing to invest in other metals, such as platinum and palladium - but why is this the case?
Everyone has their own reasons for choosing to invest in any commodity and are there are a multitude of different economic reasons to invest in gold and silver bullion. The most powerful, though, is that precious metals have an amazing ability to hold their value over time, especially in market conditions when other securities and investments prove to be less than completely inflation-proof.
Even if the relative value of your currency of choice changes, gold and silver have an absolute value. Their price may fluctuate, but the amount of goods or services an ounce of gold or silver buys has stayed remarkably steady over time, in boom or bust, through recession or expansion. This is why so many currencies over the centuries have been either minted from gold or silver, or been based on the amount of bullion actually held in that country’s vaults.
But bullion has several other substantial advantages:
- With physical bullion, you can hold it in your hand. It’s more than a certificate or a symbol or voucher of value, but actual, physical wealth. For many - that will never cease to be important.
- Precious metals can also be transferred very easily. No third party verification, no bank accounts and with no fees. It can literally be handed over.
- It has an established, reliable value anywhere on the globe. Generally, any citizen in any country across the world will accept gold or silver as payment.
- Most importantly, physical gold has no counterparty risk. This means that once you have physical gold in your possession, you don’t depend on another party or organisation to fulfull a contract or keep a promise to retain its value. This is unlike stocks, shares, bonds and ETF’s as they require another party to fulfil their end of the deal.
How do I buy gold, silver or platinum bullion?
There are many ways to buy gold online, but with Royal Mint - it couldn’t be simpler.
- You simply set up an account at www.royalmint.com and complete the registration process. It takes just a few minutes of your time, and is handled completely online.
- You may then choose your products and decide whether to have your bullion delivered to you physically, or to store it in The Vault allowing you to sell or take delivery at any time.
- Lastly, you can then transfer funds form your own bank account or debit card to your Royal Mint Bullion account, which can be exchanged for any of our gold, silver or platinum products at live market rates.
If you ever wish to sell some of your bullion, it can’t be easier. If it is stored in The Vault you may sell it back to us from within your account at any time, day or night. If you are storing your own bullion, you simply need to request a quotation and post the items to us using our buy-back service.