The new UK £1 coin will enter circulation in March 2017, and The Royal Mint is producing 1.5 billion of the new coins.
The final specification of the coin and method of introduction were decided after a ten-week public consultation which looked at the physical and material characteristics of the coin, as well as the parameters for the transition. Her Majesty’s Treasury and The Royal Mint are continuing to work with industry to introduce the new coin in a manageable way.
To view the government’s published consultation response please visit the below link
Consultation Response Paper
For more information on:
- why the new coin is being introduced
- the specification of the new £1 coin
- the timetable for the introduction of the new £1 coin
- guidance for businesses on what they need to do to prepare, including free downloadable resources and
- Frequently Asked Questions
please visit www.thenewpoundcoin.com.