Used to symbolise prosperity, love and unity, coins have a long standing history within many wedding traditions across the world.
Classic coin wedding traditions include:
- In Great Britain, the well-known tradition of the bride wearing ‘something old, something new,’ originally stems from the rhyme, ‘Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and a silver sixpence in her shoe.’ A silver sixpence in the bride’s shoe is a traditional good luck wedding gesture and customarily, it is the father of the bride who places the sixpence as a symbol of him wishing her prosperity, love and happiness in her marriage.
- Sweden has its own variation of this tradition; before a wedding, the bride’s mother gives her a gold coin to put in her right shoe and the bride’s father gives her a silver coin to put in her left shoe. The coins represent their wish that she will never be without.
- In Lithuania, the guests bring lots of silver dollars, half dollars and quarters to weddings and throw them all over the dance floor. One of the coins is marked with the bride and groom’s initials. At the end of the first dance, the wedding party collect all of the coins for the newlyweds and fill a clear vase, and the lucky person who finds the ‘love coin’ gets a special dance immediately with either the bride or groom.
- In Spain and Latin America, coins are used as wedding tokens given by the groom to his bride after the blessing of the rings. The coin symbolises his willingness to share all that he has or will have in the future. The coin is kept as a family keepsake and is passed down from mother to her eldest son on his wedding day. In more contemporary ceremonies, the bride will offer a coin in return.
- In Poland, coins are tossed over the newlyweds instead of confetti as they leave the ceremony. The couple is required to pick up all of the coins together as a sign of their new unity.
- In Great Britain, silver coins are inserted into the popped champagne or wine corks and given to the bride & groom as a lasting memento of their day of celebration.
A wedding is an occasion that deserves an everlasting gift to mark the joy and happiness experienced by all on the special day. Whether you are looking to give a unique keepsake for the big day or a special present to mark the year of the couple’s marriage, a newly minted coin is the perfect gift for any couple. They are eternal mementos that the newlyweds will be able to cherish forever and can be passed on from one generation to the next.
For a truly remarkable wedding gift take a look at our range of wedding coin gifts.